Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Postage Stamp Blocks

I am waiting for a quilt pattern to arrive that I ordered a couple of days ago.  It is a truck quilt pattern for the baby quilt that I will make for my newest anticipated grandson.  I don't want to begin any other projects until I make the baby quilt, so today I took out my overflowing container of 1 1/2" squares and strips.  I sorted them into dark and light, and then started sewing them together into sets of two.

Whenever I finish making a quilt or other project, I cut my scrap pieces into usable sizes for other scrap quilts.  I use an adaptation of Bonnie Hunter's scrap users system. Many of the fabrics are gifts from my good friends who know that I use small pieces in many of my quilts.  I really enjoy making tiny blocks from pieces that most people throw away. Adding other people's scraps to my own gives me a much greater variety.  Some of you reading my blog may recognize some of your fabrics in these piles of squares and strips.

 I find it relaxing to mindlessly chain piece these little "twosies". It really doesn't take long to get a rather substantial pile behind my sewing machine.

 The photo to the right shows you how small the little squares are compared to a quarter.  That little scrap of fabric comes from Rosanne at Coastal Haven.  Last spring she sent a bag full of scraps to me via Linda Saunders. I have had fun using her scraps. They have found their way into mug rugs, place mats, my log cabin quilt, and now my postage stamp blocks.

Here is one of the finished 4 patches.  When I get a few hundred of these, I'll start sewing them together. I like to wait until there is a lot of variety before putting them together.
I have no idea how long it will take me to make a quilt of these little blocks, but I am in no particular hurry.  So, if it takes me several years, that's just fine.

No comments: